Saturday, August 19, 2006

never one to turn down a challenge, the meme edition

I won't lie and say I enjoy filling out online surveys for all to read. More often than not the survey questions are written by thirteen year olds, designing questions that not so subtly allow them to brag about themselves to their MySpace friends.

Loyal reader write procrastinator tagged me, and it would be impolite of me to ignore him. This survey-style meme seems not terribly invasive, so here goes nothing.

* 10 years ago:
Not one of my better years. Still learning that humans are naturally evil.

* 5 years ago:
Being brought to my knees in my physical science classes became pretty commonplace. I was cooking dinners weekly for sixty people. I started having a lot of fun.

* 1 year ago:
Temporarily living in Virginia and about to move to New York, blindfolded.

* 5 songs I know all the words to:
I could really embarrass myself with this category. But I won't.

--"Let Down", Radiohead
--"Don't Come Around Here No More", Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
--"Soldier's Poem", Muse
--"Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" (dare me, I know those lyrics)
--"Super Trouper", ABBA (I will not hang my head in shame)

* 5 snacks I love and wish I could eat:
To be honest I'm not exactly the biggest snacker. But eating out, oh baby bring it on.
--burritos at Gordo, my favorite branches in Berkeley on College or in San Francisco in the Outer Richmond at 19th Ave & Geary.
--turkey burgers at Bongo Burger, all branches in Berkeley. (my heart burns for their hummus or onion rings with low quality ranch.... *drool*)
--sushi at Pink Godzilla in Capitola.
--fondue. (how about the Fondue Festival on Van Ness?)
--Texas barbecue. (brisket and smoked turkey breast at Stubbs BBQ in Austin, TX.... *drool*)

* 5 places I would run away to:
--the Bay Area.
(more specifically: San Francisco, Santa Cruz County, Stinson Beach, Berkeley, Half Moon Bay)
--the Pacific Northwest.
(more specifically: Portland, Mt. St. Helens, the Columbia River Gorge, Seattle)
--Piano di Sorrento, Italy.
--somewhere hidden in the mountains, like Montana or Wyoming.... for a little bit.
--somewhere tropical with white beaches and warm water.... for a little bit.

* 5 things I would never wear:
This happens to be one of those stupid MySpace-style survey questions. Omigod, what would I never wear!? Who the hell cares.

* 5 favorite TV shows:
Why not have a five favorite movies question? Perhaps for another meme. There happens to be a handy-dandy list sitting over in the righthand column that addresses this very question of TV shows for all to read at any time. Read carefully, folks, the following are quality television:
--"Twin Peaks"
--"Once and Again"
--"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (that's right, I said it; it's sentimentality factor)
--"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (I'm serious, folks)
--"24", the first three seasons and the first half of the fourth season only, though

* 5 greatest joys:
--urban hiking in San Francisco
--beaches during winter storms
--watching thunderstorms
--vaguely, beautiful language in the written word
--vaguely, the confluence of excellent filmmaking in movies and TV

* 5 favorite toys:
--my laptop, delivery system of the internet and my music collection and word processing for all this silly writing I do
--my shiny new hassle-free iPod shuffle
--my beautiful new 8" Wüsthof chef's knife
--my digital piano
--my TV, an appliance I sadly cannot live without

Apparently I have to tag someone to carry on this chain letter survey business. Because my sitemeter indicates that this blog is read by all two of you and occasionally somebody from Brazil, I don't know if tagging is the best way to spread the chain letter.

UPDATE (08/22/2006): I hereby rescind this tagging business. Consider it a gift. But, if you (yes, YOU dear reader) want to adapt this meme for your own blog, please do. Maybe you'll learn something new about yourself.

2 comments:

Writeprocrastinator said...

ITSW,

I had a response all typed out, then we had to board the plane and I had to delete it, so...

"Loyal reader write procrastinator tagged me, and it would be impolite of me to ignore him."

It wouldn't be impolite at all and thank you for indulging the blogging world and myself. I appreciate that you took the time to do so and you're the man, man!

"Not one of my better years. Still learning that humans are naturally evil."

I wish I grabbed onto this when I was at this same age. It would've made it so much easier to get along in life and move onto making myself and those around me, better.

"I was cooking dinners weekly for sixty people. I started having a lot of fun."

Good God, man! I can't cook for five without losing my mind.

"Temporarily living in Virginia and about to move to New York, blindfolded."

Real courage in the city that eats newcomers for breakfast.

* 5 songs I know all the words to:
I could really embarrass myself with this category. But I won't.

"Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" (dare me, I know those lyrics)"

All right, the honor system is in effect and without you looking it up, do it...


"burritos at Gordo, my favorite branches in Berkeley on College or in San Francisco in the Outer Richmond at 19th Ave & Geary."

Good and fresh asada, carnitas y pollo. But they need to add flavor to their beans.

"my heart burns for their hummus"

The Mother-in-law has gone nuts for hummus over the last four years and unforunately, the meager tubs that she buys are the only way I can get my garlic fix until I make it into Manhattan.

"or onion rings with low quality ranch.... *drool*)"

Nothing's wrong with that, ranch and onion rings are some of the few things that no restaurant can screw up. Not even Denny's or IHOP.

"--sushi at Pink Godzilla in Capitola."

You too, are a kindred spirit. You will go the distance for a craving and I now have all the respect in the world for you.

"fondue. (how about the Fondue Festival on Van Ness?)"

I've got to check that out...

"Texas barbecue."

There was a place on Van Ness that was pretty decent the first few years it was open. It was up a couple of blocks from Market, "Bull Poland's?" Now any non-Korean barbecue in the City? Scoff-scoff.

"Piano di Sorrento, Italy."

I never got to that part of the boot, tell me more.

"somewhere tropical with white beaches and warm water.... for a little bit."

Ah yes, rub your trip to paradise in, a bit more ; )

"my TV, an appliance I sadly cannot live without"

You see, that's how addictive the idiot box is when someone who is as literate as you are, will admit that. I won't even admit that and I was weaned on the glass teet.

Anonymous said...

yeah, portland!! :-D

eh, i never write in my blog anymore...so if u really wanna know my top 5's, u're just gonna have to call me sometime!! miss ya!! :)

luv,
amy